Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Samsung GT-i9010

I've been really excited about the possibility of a Nexus Two coming out this month, especially when all the speculation around next week's Samsung presentation pointed to a release (or at least the release of the existence) of the N2.  Here's what I've gathered so far on the supposed model number of the mystery phone, GT-i9010:

1: It will operate on AT&T exclusively in the US, based on it's 850/1900MHz EDGE and 3G bands.
2: It will sport a Wi-Fi b/g/n radio with WPA.
3: It "looks like" a Galaxy S phone, and it's model number is one off the generic GT-i9000 that European models carry.

That's it.  As much as I want this to be the next Nexus phone, I doubt it will.  Google has a much better relationship with T-Mobile in the US than it does with AT&T (Moto Backflip anyone?) and I find it hard to believe that AT&T is going to take the cash it was previously sending to Cupertino and buy into a deal like this with Google.  And why would Google debut a developer phone on an average network, when you can leverage what is now being touted as 4G?

I think what we are seeing is potentially a GSM version of the Continuum (with which I am greatly underwhelmed) or maybe a refresh of the Captivate.

But, for the sake of my aging Nexus One, I hope I'm wrong!

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Mobility#Radio_Frequency_Summary'
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1367535
http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA9887

No comments:

Post a Comment